If you’re seeking adventure, there are few places better than the great outdoors. The combination of fresh air and unknown trails awakens the mind. And the stresses of everyday life get left behind.
To a novice hiker, the idea might sound daunting. But by choosing to only ever stand still, no epic adventures will ever be taken. No great heights will ever be reached. And no amazing views will ever be seen.
These hiking quotes will show you how important it is to push yourself out of that all-too-familiar comfort zone. And explore the world around you.
It’s big. It’s beautiful. And it’s right there, waiting for you to throw on your hiking boots and step right in.
Why Should You Go Hiking to Find Adventure?
Are you a creature of comfort? Maybe you’re the type to put on some sweatpants, snuggle up on the sofa, and switch off for the weekend.
There’s a feeling of contentment found in the calmness. No more panic. No more stress.
But what if, instead of staying home, you looked up your nearest hiking trail and headed out? Instead of hiding away from the world, you chose to embrace it. And took on the adventure, step by step.
So few of us make time to get out and appreciate what’s beyond our towns and cities. And that’s a real shame. Because in doing so, we miss out on so much.
Not just the leaves beneath our feet, or the trees towering high above. Not just the birds calling, or the deer grazing in the shadows.
But also, the beautiful fresh air that fills our lungs.And the incredible sense of freedom, away from the hustle and bustle of our lives.
Getting back to nature lets us connect, not only with the great outdoors but with ourselves. We stop looking at the clock. And, instead, look at how far we’ve come.
Though it may be physically demanding, it’s also mentally restful. We disengage with the demands that leave us feeling burnt out. And focus only on the adventure we’re taking.
If you’re still unsure, these hiking quotes will help you find the motivation needed. Hiking is such a wholesome experience. And one that we should take often.
Now, let’s get started.
55 Motivational Hiking Quotes to Inspire an Outdoor Adventure
- “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddam mountain.” – Jack Kerouac
- “It’s not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” – Sir Edmund Hillary
- “Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.” – John Muir
Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.” – John Muir
- “Hiking is not escapism; it’s realism. The people who choose to spend time outdoors are not running away from anything; we are returning to where we belong.” – Jennifer Pharr Davis
- “Keep Climbing, And When You Reach The Top, Don’t Forget To Turn Around And Help Someone Else Up.” – Unknown
- “There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.” – Beverly Sills
- “Every Mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” – Barry Findlay
- “We don’t stop hiking because we grow old – we grow old because we stop hiking.” – Finis Mitchell
- “The best views come after the hardest climb.” – Unknown
- “Leave the road, take the trails.” – Pythagoras
- “More and more people seem to be separating from nature. I’m trying to go in a different direction. I’m getting closer and closer.” – Dean Potter
- “Returning home is the most difficult part of long-distance hiking. You have grown outside the puzzle and your piece no longer fits.” – Cindy Ross
- “Walking: the most ancient exercise and still the best modern exercise.” – Carrie Latet
- “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” – Edward Abbey
- “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
- “Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you’re climbing it.” – Andy Rooney
- “After A Day’s Walk Everything Has Twice Its Usual Value.” – G.M Trevelyan
- “In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.” – Aristotle
- “When you are in the middle of the Gigantic & Majestic Himalayas, you really find your true place in the Universe. You really figure out how small you are in the grand scheme of things. All your ego completely gets cleaned.” – Kuntal Joisher
- “A walk in nature walks the soul back home.” – Mary Davis
- “Did someone say hike?.” – We Seek Travel
- “Sometimes you just need an adventure to cleanse the bitter taste of life from your soul.” – Unknown
- “If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than aeroplanes.In wilderness I sense the miracle of life, and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia. Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization.” – Charles Lindebergh
- “The gladdest moment in human life, methinks, is a departure into unknown lands.” – Sir Richard Burton
- “Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” – Albert Einstein
- “Life should have more mountains and less stress.” – Unknown
- “Some beautiful paths can’t be discovered without getting lost.” – Erol Ozan
- “Hike More Worry Less.” – Unknown
- “The climb might be tough and challenging, but the view is worth it. There is a purpose for that pain; you just can’t always see it right away.” – Victoria Arlen
- “Take only memories leave only footprints.” – Chief Seattle
- “Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach of us more than we can ever learn from books.” – John Lubbock
- “Nature. It’s cheaper than therapy.” – Unknown
- “Chasing angels or fleeing demons, go to the mountains.” – Jeffery Rasley
- “Always take the scenic route” – Unknown
- “The summit is what drives us, but the climb itself is what really matters.” – Conrad Anker
The summit is what drives us, but the climb itself is what really matters.” – Conrad Anker
- “If you don’t do wild things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.” – Unknown
- “The world reveals itself to those who travel on foot.” – Werner Herzog
- “Walking is a man’s best medicine.” – Hippocrates
- “Despite all I have seen and experienced, I still get the same simple thrill out of glimpsing a tiny patch of snow in a high mountain gully and feel the same urge to climb towards it.” – Edmund Hillary
- “Hiking and happiness go hand in hand or foot in boot.” – Diane Spicer
- “Often, bumpy roads lead to beautiful places.” – Dave Martinez
- “I found far more answers in the woods than I ever did in the city.” – Mary Davis
- “If we were meant to stay in one place, we’d have roots instead of feet.” – Rachel Wolchin
- “Hiking is the best workout! You can hike for three hours and not even realize you’re working out. And, hiking alone lets me have some time to myself.” – Jamie Luner
- “May your dreams be larger than mountains and may you have the courage to scale their summits.” – Harley King
- “Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit.” – Edward Abbey
- “I really believe that, as human beings, we have an innate need to explore, to see what’s around the corner.” – Jimmy Chin
- “I love walking in the woods, along the trails, by the beaches. I love being part of nature. I love walking alone. It is therapy. One needs to be alone, to recharge one’s batteries.” – Grace Kelly
- “I’d rather be hiking in the rain than sitting inside at a desk on a sunny day.” – Unknown
- “When we walk into a grove of trees or under an open sky the magic of nature takes over and the heaviness of life lifts a little.” – Natassia Cassinero
- “Live your life by a compass, not a clock.” – Unknown
- “I slow down when hiking. The rhythm of nature is more leisurely. The sun comes up, it moves across the sky, and you begin to synchronize to that rhythm.” – John Mackey
- “The biggest reality check you’ll get amongst mountains is realizing how small you are.” – Inspire with Quotes
- “I go to nature to be soothed and healed and to have my sense put in order.” – John Burroughs
- “Jobs fill your pockets, adventures fill your soul.” – Jaime Lyn Beatty
Final Thoughts on Hiking Quotes
If you’re hoping to find adventure on your doorstep, you’re probably going to be disappointed. It’s not something that turns up in a box, with how-to instructions.
Unless of course, the box contains your new hiking boots or rucksack. In which case, you’re headed in the right direction.
Get out more. Explore. Go on adventures. And embrace everything the outdoors has to offer.
It’s going to be amazing.
For more hiking blog posts, be sure to check out these links:
- 11 Hiking Tips for Beginners [Getting Started With Your Hike]
- 31 Funny or Creative Hiking Group Names for Your Organization
- Why Do People Like Hiking? 11 Simple Reasons Why
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.