The best running shoes for older runners will help to protect your feet from injury and give you the ability to run for longer without discomfort. With enhanced cushioning and superior traction, they are highly recommended for senior runners searching for a reliable pair of shoes. Below are five of the best pairs to consider if you need specialized shoes for your outdoor activities.
Best Running Shoes for Older Runners: A Review
If comfort is what you’re looking for, these are one of the best pairs of shoes to consider. With outsoles designed for multiple outdoor activities ranging from hiking to marathon running, they’re highly recommended for keeping your feet comfortable for long treks.
Some of the main features of the ASICS Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoes include:
- Trail-Specific Outsole: Traction is of the utmost importance, especially if you are navigating through rough terrain frequently. With the added trail-specific outsole, you’ll find it’s easier to grip onto all surfaces, ranging from wet boulders to loose dirt. The more confidence you have with every step will give you the ability to push yourself harder.
- Rearfoot Cushioning: The patented GEL cushioning in these shoes is highly recommended for people who need extra support under their feet. Designed to absorb the majority of shock from walking and running, you’ll likely experience less fatigue and discomfort with long-distance runs.
- Removable Sockliner: Orthotics are one of the best ways to make sure you have the perfect fit for your shoes and with most running shoes, fitting orthotics can be tough. However, the ASICS Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoes has a removable sockliner which helps you to insert your custom orthotics with ease.
- Offers optimal arch support
- Has sufficient heel padding
- Comfortable tongue
- Easily fit orthotics
- Poorly made insole
- Grips your feet poorly
- Needs to be broken in
Style is one of the best features of the Adidas Originals NMD_R1 Running Shoes, as it falls somewhere between functional and fashionable footwear. There are numerous colors to choose from and they have the high-quality Adidas build you would expect from any other pair.
The main features of the Adidas Originals NMD_R1 Running Shoes include:
- Knit Upper: With the addition of the knit upper on the shoes, your feet will have exceptional breathability in all conditions, especially warm weather. With a breathable pair of shoes, your feet will sweat less.
- Rubber Outsole: Similar to most other types of running shoes, the rubber outsole of this pair is highly recommended for navigating through regular terrain. They don’t have as much of a rugged outsole as what you would get from hiking shoes but they are resilient enough for running and walking.
- Responsive Boost Midsole: Adidas is known for their Boost technology and it’s highly recommended for wearers who need extra support in their arch. Designed to make you feel as if you are walking on a spring cushion, the Responsive Boost technology is ideal for added shock absorption and support.
- Soft Feel: There’s nothing quite like wearing a pair of lightweight shoes that feel as if you have nothing on your feet. The Adidas Originals NMD_R1 Running Shoes feels incredibly soft to the touch and against your skin if you opt to wear it without socks.
- Versatile appearance
- Easy to pull on
- Feel very soft when worn
- Very flat sole
- Does not grip your feet
One of the most spectacular features of the Brooks Ghost 11 Running Shoes is it is designed for every type of runner. Regardless if you like short-distance runs or marathons, these shoes have plenty to offer and a style similar to high-quality runners.
The main highlights of the Brooks Ghost 11 Running Shoes include:
- DNA LOFT Heel Pad: Having a pair of shoes which absorbs most of the impact your feet would otherwise experience is ideal for your overall comfort. With the help of the DNA LOFT heel pad, you’ll have optimal cushioning in the most high-impact area of your shoe.
- Specialized Mesh Upper: Specifically engineered to fit your feet perfectly, the specialized mesh upper on the shoe is designed to create a firmer fit. You’ll also appreciate the level of stretch they have to offer, which is ideal for people with wider feet. In addition, the mesh upper allows a sufficient amount of airflow, so the shoes become more breathable when worn for long periods.
- BioMoGo DNA Cushioning: With the combination of the BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning, the bottoms of the shoes are highly durable but don’t lose their responsiveness. This helps to make them incredibly lightweight but still maintain their ruggedness.
- Segmented Crash Pad: The segmented crash pad has a variety of shock absorbers designed to cushion every step of your stride you take. You’ll also find that your heel-to-toe transitions are far smoother, which is ideal for long-distance runners.
- Assists with runner’s fatigue
- Provides an ample amount of support
- Nice aesthetic
- No breaking in required
- Small toe box area
- Sizes run small
- Shows wear and tear quickly
Nike is one of the front runners when it comes to running shoes because of their exceptional quality and style. The Nike Revolution 4 Running Shoes is one of the many types of runners you can find from the brand which easily transition between workout shoes and everyday casual shoes.
The main features of the Nike Revolution 4 Running Shoes include:
- Mesh Upper: In order to provide optimal breathability, especially in warm conditions, the upper is made out of mesh. You’ll find your feet will become less sweaty after long-distance runs and it also helps prevent the spread of bacteria from your sweat.
- Foam Midsole: In the middle of the shoe, you’ll notice there is an ample amount of support thanks to the foam midsole. It doesn’t add any weight to the shoe but gives you the ability to take advantage of highly responsive cushioning.
- Rubber Outsole: There isn’t anything particularly special about the outsole of the Nike Revolution 4 Running Shoes, but it gives a reasonable amount of traction in dry and wet weather. As long as you are running on basic terrain, it’ll give you more than enough traction.
- Great traction for HIIT
- Slightly waterproof upper
- Incredibly comfortable
- Feels supportive
- Sides may bulge over time
- Weak arch
- Feels quite narrow
Saucony is one of the most anticipated brands when it comes to running shoes, especially high-quality designs meant for everyday wear. The Saucony Ride ISO Running Shoes has a stunning appeal and an innovative technology which make it ideal for long treks and runs.
The main features of the Saucony Ride ISO Running Shoes include:
- Mesh Upper: Just like the other running shoes on this list, these shoes also feature a mesh upper which helps make the shoes more breathable and comfortable over long periods.
- ISOFIT Technology: Inside of the shoe, you’ll notice there is a soft inner sleeve which offers a support cage to offer a more dynamic fit of your shoes. With the help of the ISOFIT technology, each shoe will easily adapt to the specific shape of your feet.
- FORMFIT Technology: What makes FORMFIT technology unique is that it adds another adaptable feature to the shoes so that they have a more customized fit. Throughout the footbed, you’ll notice superior cushioning which seemingly adapts to the contours of your feet with ease.
- EVERUN Technology: To add even more durability to the shoes, Saucony has included EVERUN technology. This helps to give optimal durability in the most sensitive areas of the shoe and also provides ultimate energy return properties. With its superior cushioning, your runs will feel far more comfortable so that you can feel more energized.
- PWRFOAM Technology: Working in coordination with the EVERUN technology, PWRFOAM gives you the perfect level of flexibility while running and walking. Every step in your stride will feel more natural and your shoes will feel like an extension of your feet rather than heavy and bulky.
- Fits true to size
- A well-sized toe box
- Optimal support without heaviness
- Does not cause blisters
- Not cushioned enough for pavement
- May require an insert
There are multiple things to look for in the perfect pair of running shoes, especially for elders. You’re going to need a pair that comes with enough technology to accommodate your running style as well as optimal support. These are some of the most important features to check prior to buying a pair:
Different styles of shoes are going to have different fits, which is one of the most difficult things to find when you’re searching for shoes. Depending on the type of feet you have, you might be more interested in a narrow fitting shoe compared to a wider fit. Some runners have specific features designed for people with wider feet, such as a larger toe box.
If you’ve owned a previous pair of running shoes which doesn’t perform well, consider what it is that made it uncomfortable. The wider your feet, the wider your shoes should be. In addition, you might want to consider finding a pair with a flexible mesh upper that will form to the contours of your feet.
2. Outsole Type
Expensive running shoes typically advertise their innovative and impressive outsoles, and for good reason. If you’re a runner who likes to traverse through different types of terrain, you’re going to need rugged yet lightweight shoes. Durable hiking outsoles aren’t the best recommendation for casual runners.
The perfect outsole for a runner is something that is made from rubber but also has specialized grooves to offer optimal traction. This helps to make sure that if you’re running on dry or wet ground, you’ll have more confidence with each step. Also, you’ll find the best outsoles are easy to keep clean and won’t take away from your overall performance.
It’s likely that over time, your shoes are going to wear down, especially if you run daily. However, you should be able to wear them for months before retiring a pair and buying new ones. Breathability has a lot to do with wear and tear, especially as your sweat can wear away sensitive materials.
With a mesh upper, you’ll have optimal breathability that will not only keep your feet cool and dry in all types of weather, but will also prevent the build-up of bacteria inside of the shoe. When running, the only thing you should focus on is your pace, rather than how uncomfortable your feet feel from being too hot.
Every step you take sends a jolt of kinetic energy through your feet, calves, and knees, which are sensitive areas of any runner’s body. With the right amount of cushioning, the shocks will be absorbed into the shoe rather than your body. This helps to eliminate the majority of your fatigue as well as will make you less likely to experience injuries from consistent exercising.
The perfect amount of cushioning may also keep you from having to buy inserts for your shoes, lessening the cost of your running gear.
In coordination with cushioning, support is essential for any pair of shoes. The ones you choose should have some type of innovative technology that is recommended for the type of arch you have. For example, those with high arches will need shoes that offer optimal support in the midsole region.