If you don’t have time to read the entire review and just want to find out what the best energy chews for running is, then we recommend the PROBAR Bolt Organic Energy Chews as the best choice.
Using the best energy chews for running can help support your endurance when you’re pushing your body to its limits. As fun as it is, running can take a lot out of you but with an added boost of energy, finishing your run will be easier. The following five energy chews are highly recommended for getting you the mid-run push you need.
In this post, we’ve reviewed the five best energy chews for running. These are:
- Clif Bloks Energy Chews
- Gatorade Prime Energy Chews
- GU Energy Labs Chews
- PROBAR Bolt Organic Energy Chews
- Honey Stinger Organic Energy Chews
The 5 Best Energy Chews for Running: Brief Reviews
Clif is one of the best companies for high-quality supplements, whether it be protein bars or these energy chews. Formulated without unhealthy stimulants, these chews are packed with carbs and 50mg of caffeine.
The main features of the Clif Bloks Energy Chews include:
- 50mg of Caffeine: With more caffeine than 100g of coffee, the 50mg of caffeine in these chews is highly recommended to get you prepared for your run or race. It could also be a fantastic option for morning coffee drinkers instead of having to rely on making a cup of Joe first thing.
- 11 Flavors: There are 11 different flavors for you to choose from, but the black cherry seems to be the most popular and most delicious.
- Softly Chewable: Much like its name suggests, these gummies are chewable since they feature a soft texture and packaging that is meant to be easy to open, even while running.
- Natural Ingredients: Plenty of natural ingredients included in the cubes such as organic cane syrup, organic tapioca syrup, natural flavors, green tea extract, and sea salt. Each cube comes with the perfect amount of carbs and sodium for customized meal plans.
- Low Calorie: In comparison to chugging a glass of coffee before a run, these cubes are highly recommended for someone looking for a low-calorie energy boost. Each cube has a total of 33 calories, which won’t affect your daily limits.
- Aren’t sticky like gel capsules
- Easily digestible
- Might not cause jitters
- May get stuck in your teeth
- Poorly designed packaging
- Doesn’t offer a lot of energy
If you’re interested in sticking to a product with a brand name you can trust, Gatorade has a collection of energy chews designed for athletes. The Gatorade Prime Energy Chews come in a pack of 16 and are designed to give you a substantial energy boost to prevent your legs from sandbagging halfway through your run.
The main features of the Gatorade Prime Energy Chews include:
- Four Flavors: There are four different flavors you can choose from that taste quite similar to the traditional Gatorade beverages. They include Cool Blue, Strawberry, Green Apple, and Fruit Punch.
- 16 Sleeves: With your order, you’ll receive 16 sleeves of chews with six chews in each sleeve. This gives you more than enough to last through several runs.
- Included Vitamins: With these chews, you’ll not only have 24g of carbs to help fuel your body but also 20% of Vitamin B6, which is essential for breaking down carbohydrates and transforming them into energy.
- Low Calorie: Compared to other energy chews, these are incredibly low in calories, especially if you find you only need a single chew for your entire run. For a packet of six chews, you’ll be consuming a total of 100 calories.
- No Stimulants: Instead of relying on stimulants, such as caffeine, these chews are designed to give your body energy primarily through nutrients and carbohydrates.
- Easy to digest
- Help to prevent cramping
- Taste great
- Help with moderate energy boosts
- Hard to open packaging
- Difficult to chew
When it comes to energy chews, this is one of the top-tier brands that runners use to help keep their bodies hydrated and energized. With a variety of interesting ingredients designed to help make your runs better, they are surely one of the better chews on this list.
The main features of the GU Energy Labs Chews include:
- 18 Sleeves: In each order, you will receive 18 sleeves of chews with eight chews in each sleeve for a total of 36 servings. A single order can fuel your runs for over a month, if not longer, depending on how many chews you choose to consume.
- Low Calorie: With only 80 calories per serving, you won’t have to worry about adding too many extra calories into your daily intake.
- Complex and Simple Carbs: To help aid your body in receiving fast-absorbing energy, these chews feature both simple and complex carbs which naturally boost your energy levels.
- Amino Acids: You’ll also appreciate how this formula features amino acids which are essential for helping your muscles recover after a long training session or race. The branched-chain amino acids prevent damage to your muscles so that you can feel better for your next run.
- Electrolytes: As you run, your body is undoubtedly losing water and to help prevent dehydration and cramping, the GU Energy Labs Chews features electrolytes, so you can manage your hydration.
- Caffeine: As an added stimulant to assist with your energy levels, the added caffeine can improve your concentration and focus with ease.
- Taste phenomenal
- Easy to carry
- Give the perfect amount of energy
- Help to sustain energy levels
- Very gummy
- Incredibly sticky
At times, opting for fully organic sources of energy can be preferable, especially if you’re on a clean eating kick. With the PROBAR Bolt Organic Energy Chews, you’ll be consuming all-natural energy sources which taste great and come in six flavors from mixed berry to orange.
The most interesting features of the PROBAR Bolt Organic Energy Chews include:
- Blend of Superfruits: When looking at the ingredient list, you’ll be impressed with the sheer number of natural items included in these chews. By relying on the natural stimulating properties of superfruits such as blueberry, pomegranate, and acai, you’ll have all the essential vitamins and minerals needed to keep you healthy.
- USDA Certified Organic: These chews have been fully certified to be organic, so you can rest easy knowing you aren’t consuming unhealthy ingredients which will negatively affect your performance over time.
- Numerous Vitamins: Since there are plenty of fruits included in the formula, you’ll also have an array of vitamins to use to your advantage. These vitamins include B6, B12, and C.
- Electrolytes: Similar to the GU chews, the PROBAR Bolt Organic Energy Chews also has electrolytes to help keep your body hydrated while running to help prevent cramping.
- Quick Energy: With the addition of 24g of carbs, your body can have quick-absorbing nutrients to help power your entire workout or your training session.
- Vegan and soy-free
- Have a natural flavor
- Ideal for running
- Easily digestible
- Get very sticky
- Poorly designed packaging
For the fifth brand of energy chews on this list, we have another organic option. The Honey Stinger Organic Energy Chews has nine different flavors, including cherry cola, cherry blossom, and fruit smoothie. With a variety of simple ingredients which are easy to digest and highly recommended for fueling any activity, they have plenty to offer.
The main features of the Honey Stinger Organic Energy Chews include:
- Low-Glycemic Properties: Designed to help improve your athletic performance easier than other energy supplements, these chews easily give you sustained energy by managing your blood sugar levels. You won’t have to worry about insulin spikes or crashes compared to other high-sugar energy chews.
- Honey-Derived Energy: All the Vitamin C and energy in these chews is derived naturally from honey, which is what gives them an edge over other types of energy chews.
- Rich in Carbs: With the high carbohydrate content (39g), you’ll have prolonged energy which your body can use to give you the perfect boost. You can use these chews before exercise, during exercise, and after exercise, which makes them highly versatile. All the carbs are found in the sucrose, maltose, fructose, and glucose content of the chews.
- Gluten-Free: Another interesting feature of the Honey Stinger Organic Energy Chews is that they are gluten-free, which makes them easier to consume by people with dietary restrictions.
- Mostly Organic: Though these energy chews aren’t 100% organic, they contain up to 95% organic ingredients, so you can guarantee you’ll have a healthier source of energy than other chews on the market.
- Easy to chew
- Easy to digest
- Ideal for mid-run boosts
- Contain limited caffeine
- Hard to open while running
- Taste overly sweet
There is a lot to take into consideration when you start shopping around for energy chews, especially if you want ones which aren’t too sticky and are packed with nutritional ingredients. These are a few of the most important features to keep an eye out for when you start looking at various brands:
By far, the most concerning aspect of energy chews is their texture, especially if you’re someone with dental fillings. Some chews are more difficult to eat than others, as they may get stuck in your teeth and pull out a filling or two. You’ll want to find chews which are soft enough to bite through while running, as well as those that don’t pose a choking hazard.
Another important part of the texture is to make sure they’re not too sticky, as this is an issue with energy gels. You’ll want to ensure that while the chews are in your pocket while running, they’ll maintain their shape and won’t leave residue on your hands or pockets.
2. Natural Ingredients
The ingredients list of anything you consume is important to look at, but with supplements, you’ll want to be extra careful. Your best option is to choose energy chews which come with naturally derived sources of energy, whether it is carbohydrates or vitamins. The best chews don’t need to rely on sugar in order to power you through your entire run.
Plenty of runners also prefer to have energy chews with a high level of caffeine, as it seems to be the perfect ingredient for improving concentration and focus. Instead of synthetic caffeine, opt for chews which have caffeine derived from green tea or other natural products.
It’s highly likely that if you consume something during your workout, it will upset your stomach, especially if you don’t have access to water. The energy chews you choose should be easily digestible and won’t cause discomfort, even while running for extended periods. You may also want to opt for ones which are easily consumed without having to chase them down with a swig of water.
If you have energy chews which cause distress and discomfort, there could be ingredients that don’t agree with your body.
The packaging on your energy chews is easily one of the most important things to look out for, as you won’t want a plastic package that is impossible to open when you’re running. Remember, you will have sweaty palms and won’t want to have to stop to struggle with packaging.
The best chew packaging is made from materials which are easily torn apart and might even be resealable. As an alternative approach, consider slicing a corner of the packaging open before you head out on your run, as it will make it easier to open when needed.
It seems to be that most energy chews rely on carbohydrates above any other ingredient to fuel your body for the duration of your run. As carbs are easily absorbed by the body and transformed into energy, it’s a reliable and useful ingredient to have at your disposal. Ideally, the best chews will have over 25g of carbs to help give you that extra boost you need.
Our Final Recommendation
Our choice for the best energy chews for running is the PROBAR Bolt Organic Energy Chews because it tastes great and is USDA certified organic. With plenty of phenomenal and natural ingredients to give you the perfect mid-run boost, there’s not much else to wish for. However, the packaging is slightly difficult to work with and the gummies are quite sticky