If you don’t have time to read the entire review and just want to find out what the best hiking hat for hot weather is, then we recommend the GearTOP Fishing Hat as the best choice.
Having the best hiking hat for hot weather means you won’t have to worry about excessive sweating and discomfort when outside. Designed to be highly breathable and still protect you from the harmful rays of the sun, they have plenty of benefits to offer.
In this post, we’ve reviewed the five best hiking hat for hot weather. These are:
- Einskey Sun Hat
- Columbia BoraBora II Booney Hat
- GearTOP Fishing Hat
- Hillman Wide Brim Sun Hat
- Dukars Sun Hat
Best Hiking Hat for Hot Weather: A Review
1. Einskey Sun Hat
The Einskey Sun Hat is both waterproof and designed to fit most heads comfortably. With a variety of adjustable features for a more customized fit, it will become one of your most comfortable pieces of outdoor accessories in your closet.
The features of the Einskey Sun Hat include:
- Adjustable Drawstring: On the back of the hat, you’ll notice there is an adjustable drawstring designed to create a looser or tighter fit along the circumference of your head. Designed for adult head sizes between 22 and 24 inches, it’s a suitable size for most heads.
- Water-repellent: Aside from the sun protection clearly offered by the wide brim of the hat, it is also water repellent to prevent drizzles from impeding your vision. The entire hat is made from a specialized polyester which helps water to roll off of the brim.
- Breathable: With the addition of the double-sided mesh vent, your head will stay cool and comfortable, even if you’re under the direct rays of the sun. It also features a built-in moisture-wicking headband to get rid of sweat before it reaches your forehead.
- Adjustable Chin Cord: Along with the adjustable band at the rear of the hat, there is also a chin cord included so that it stays on your head while outdoors.
- Foldable: Compared to other sun hats which don’t fold down, this one is easy to pack as it folds in half and is simple to store away in a backpack or hiking bag.
- Protects your neck
- Fits well
- Prevents sweating
- Has spectacular ventilation
- Rain penetrates mesh
- Creases when folded
- Poor quality construction
2. Columbia Bora Bora II Booney Hat
You can immediately tell the Columbia Bora Bora II Booney Hat is designed for plenty of outdoor activities, including gardening and fishing. With moisture wicking, UV protection, and adjustable features, it’s a great option for anyone searching for sun protection.
The main features of the Columbia Bora Bora II Booney Hat include:
- Omni-Wick Fabric: When worn in hot weather, this hat wicks away moisture easily so that your head can stay cool and relatively sweat-free. Even when worn in direct sunlight, you won’t have the uncomfortable feeling of sweat pooling up on your scalp.
- Omni-Shade Protection: With UPF 50 protection, 98% of the sun’s harmful UVB and UVA rays will be blocked, offering supreme protection no matter where you are.
- Adjustable Chin Strap: To create a more custom fit, the chin strap on the hat is fully adjustable thanks to the drawcord. You won’t have to worry about it blowing away if you’re wearing it in high winds.
Mesh Vents: The mesh vents added to the hat offer even more airflow to prevent sweating. You’ll find that this helps to make the hat far more comfortable in hot and
- Easily adjustable
- Blocks the sun perfectly
- Washes easily
- Dries quickly
- Prevents excessive sweating
- The brim will be damaged from folding
- Retains wrinkles
- Floppy brim
3. GearTOP Fishing Hat
The GearTOP Fishing Hat has a similar style to a safari hat, which is why it’s one of our favorites on this list. With the ability to offer premium protection for both women and men, you can block the sun’s rays easily regardless of the weather.
The best highlights of the GearTOP Fishing Hat include:
- Multipurpose Protection: Not only does this hat protects the top of your head from the sun, but it’s also useful for protecting your ears, face, and neck from UVA and UVB rays.
- Adjustable Drawstring: You can adjust the size of the hat with the help of the drawstring. There is also a neck cord which is fully adjustable so that you can ensure your hat won’t fly off in the wind.
- Waterproof: If you’re caught in a downpour, you’ll have a hat which you can rely on, as the GearTOP Fishing Hat is designed to withstand all types of weather.
- Breathable: With the added mesh band on the outside of the hat, your head will have more than enough breathability when you’re outside working. The netting is ideal for helping moisture escape so that sweat doesn’t build up on your head.
- Quick Drying: In the event your hat gets wet, it will dry within a matter of minutes so that you can even wear it while swimming.
- Blocks heat easily
- Fully adjustable
- Highly windproof
- Wide sun-blocking brim
- Sized for large heads
- Colors may vary
- The brim is too floppy
- Poorly made
4. Hillman Wide Brim Sun Hat
If you’re someone looking for optimal sun protection with the help of a wide brim, the Hillman Wide Brim Sun Hat is a fantastic option. With a brim substantially larger than any other hat on this list, you can guarantee you’ll have optimal sun protection in all of the most important areas.
The main highlights of the Hillman Wide Brim Sun Hat include:
- High-Quality Nylon: This entire hat is constructed using 100% nylon, which helps to make it effective at wicking away moisture. Any sweat accumulated under the hat will be pulled away from your skin so that you feel dry and cool for longer. In addition, the nylon helps to make the hat far more lightweight and quick to dry.
- Stain Resistant: If you’re worried about the integrity of your hat over time, you’ll be glad to know this model is specifically designed to be stain resistant.
- Optimal Sun Resistance: With 50+ UPF and a brim over five inches deep, you’ll have complete protection from UV rays on your neck, ears, and face.
- Added Mesh Panels: The mesh panels on the exterior of the hat offers superior ventilation for airflow on even the hottest days. This is what makes it ideal for outdoor activities such as running, hiking, and camping.
- Easy to clean
- Comfortable and cool
- Easily protects you from the sun
- Simple to fold in half
- Runs small
- Chinstrap doesn’t fit tightly
- Difficult to adjust with gloves
5. Dukars Sun Hat
With a simple and sleek design, the Dukars Sun Hat is the perfect option for someone who wants an unassuming hat designed to protect them from the sun. With many of the same features as the other hats on this list, it’s an effective solution for comfortable sun protection.
The main features of the Dukars Sun Hat include:
● UPF 50+: With the ability to block both UVA and UVB rays, you’ll be shielded from 98% of the sun’s harmful rays when outdoors.
● Packable: If you want to store your hat in your bag, this is one of the better options on the market. It is lightweight and easily foldable, making it perfect for hikers.
● Added Mesh Panels: For improved ventilation and added comfort, there are mesh panels around the circumference of the head. The double-sided air vents are ideal for preventing a lot of sweat.
● Adjustable Rear: On the back of the hat, you’ll notice there is an elastic drawstring which you can use to create a more customized fit. Ideally, the hat is designed for head sizes between 22 and 24 inches.
● Strong Brim: Compared to other sun hats with a floppy brim, the brim of this hat is sturdier which makes it ideal to wear in wet weather as well as during windy days.
- Keeps your head cool and dry
- High-quality stitching
- Chinstrap breaks easily
- Arrives in an unappealing shape
- Doesn’t perfectly shade the neck
Buying a sun hat is far more than a fashion statement, it’s a protective measure to shield you from the sun’s rays. With that said, the best one you can find should have all of the following features to offer:
1. High-Quality Sun Protection
The best hats will have sun protection of at least UPF 50 or more, as this will block both UVA and UVB rays. In addition to sunscreen and sunglasses, you shouldn’t have to worry about burning when outside for hours on end.
If you’re particularly sensitive to the sun, you’ll want to consider a hat with a large brim. The wider the brim, the more it will shade important areas of your body such as the back of your neck and your ears.
If you’ve worn a regular hat in the sun before, you likely know how uncomfortable it is to feel sweat accumulating underneath the hat. With the right amount of breathability, airflow will help to prevent excessive sweating and keep you comfortable. All of the top-tier sun hats will have mesh vents on the top of the hat to let just enough air in.
With that said, when you’re opting for a hat with mesh vents, it’s best if they also have some type of water protection. Otherwise, you’ll get soaked if you get caught in some ran while hiking or running outside.
3. Moisture Wicking Fabric
An added benefit designed to keep you dry and cool during the hottest days of the year is moisture-wicking. Either the material inside of the hat should wick away moisture or there should be an added sweatband to keep sweat out of your eyes. This is one of the biggest features to remember, as sweat dripping into your eyes is equally as painful as it is annoying.
To help prevent your hat from smelling of sweat, it should also be machine washable or hand washable. An even better alternative would be to have a built-in sweatband which can be removed and washed on its own.
It’s impossible to create a hat which will fit everyone’s head comfortably. You’ll need a perfectly fitting hat to prevent it from blowing away in the wind and pressing too hard against your head. If possible, opt for a sun hat which is easily adjustable with a drawstring or bungee cord at the rear.
Another important adjustable feature is the chinstrap, as you’ll want to be able to loosen and tighten it as necessary depending on how windy it is outside. Otherwise, you’ll be at risk for the hat blowing away.
Although it might not be necessary for people who live in mostly sunny areas, having some type of waterproofing on your hat helps to keep you prepared in all weather conditions. You won’t have to worry about being drenched in a downpour, as your hat will help to block a lot of the rain.
Our Final Recommendation
The best hiking hat for hot weather is surely the GearTOP Fishing Hat. It has a couple of adjustable features to make it easier and more comfortable to wear in addition to its optimal sun protection.
We also found the brim is sized perfectly for shielding you from the sun without impeding your vision. An alternative could be the Hillman Wide Brim Sun Hat, as it is built with more attention to detail but its brim is far too large to be comfortable for hiking.